3.10.2009

How to Peel and Egg & Ham and Egg Breakfast Sandwiches

DSC_0631

I follow a lot of "mom" blogs and one of favs is Design Mom. A white back, she had a post on "How to Peel an Egg" that really blew me away. Check it out! There is a video and it is pretty amazing. I decided to try it at home.

Boil the eggs at a slow boil for 12 minutes. Cool the eggs by throwing some ice in. In the video he says when you put the water in you put a 1/2 teaspoon on baking soda in and it raises the pH thus reducing the adhering of the egg to the shell. OK, I have to admit that I didn't really know if you boiled it with the baking soda (which is what I did) or if you add it after. I guess I could have done some more research. He cracks and peels a small hole in the top and bottom of the egg and blows it out of its shell. No, I couldn't blow the egg out when I tried it but the shell did come off easily without taking any of the while with it. To my skack and awe, the egg came out perfectly, no pocks where I had gouged the white. This was a first. (My husband makes fun of how bad eggs look after I usually peel them.) Its worth a try and a fun experiment.

So after experimenting, I had to put the eggs to work. I decided on a super easy breakfast sandwich. We make these sandwiches all the time with scrambled eggs but after trying them this way, I am converted to hard boiled.

Ham and Egg Breakfast Sandwich
4 pts
Serves 1

high fiber English muffin (1 pt)
1 slice of lean ham or canadian bacon
FF or 2% american cheese slice
1 boiled egg

Peel egg (per instructions above). Split and remove yolk. Disgard yolk. Slice egg white and lightly salt.
DSC_0617DSC_0618DSC_0620DSC_0621

Split and toast Enlish muffin. Place slice ham, cheese and egg on the muffin.

DSC_0626

Put two halves of muffin together and enjoy! You can boil a bunch of eggs at once for a fast breakfast. Just warm the egg white for a few seconds (under 10) for a quick morning meal.

DSC_0630

5 comments:

  1. Oh, Yum!!! I love hb eggs and always had trouble peeling them, too! I found if I let the eggs come to room temp before boiling them, it solved the problem. But, I love this idea (no waiting involved!) I will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy DesignMom, too. Looks like a yummy breakfast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I nominated you for a Kreativ blogger award!! Come by my blog to pick it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog entry came at a perfect time! I struggle with peling eggs. They look terrible when I get finished. I resorted to buying expensive boiled and peeled eggs in a bag from the grocery store. Not any more! I'm going to try your method!

    http://www.happytexans.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love your blog! the cupcakes look amazing! hope it's okay that i am adding you to my list! :o)

    ReplyDelete