3.06.2009

Chicken Enchiladas - 3 pts each

Like most people who are struggling with their weight, I have tried a million different things in the past to lose weight. One that I have done several times in the past is Body for Life. It is a program by Bill Phillips. I have to say that it really works and is a awesome combination of exercise, food and mind. I did it at my highest and lost A LOT of weight on it. You may wonder why I am not doing it now. Reason is that it is very restrictive and takes a lot of dedication. There is a list of foods you eat from & do certain exercises 6 days a week. Right now that is way too much structure with 2 small children and other commitments I have.

So instead I am doing WW. I know that it works and I feel like it fits with my lifestyle and allows me the flexibility I need. I can eat what is available if I count the points and if I miss exercising, no big deal. I also feel like long term it is a better choice for me.

The purpose of all of this is that this recipe I got from a Body for Life cookbook called Eating for Life. It is still one of my favorite cookbooks. All the recipes are very healthy. They all have full color pictures of the ingredients and the final dish. All the recipes are very easy. Here is one of my favorites. Again, I have changed it over the years. I don't really know they exact recipe anymore.

enchiladas 3

Chicken Enchildas
3 pts
Serves 4-6


3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 green onions
12 corn tortillas
1 can green enchilada sauce (10-12 oz)
2 oz reduced fat cheddar cheese, finely shredded

Boil chicken breasts. Cool until easily handled and shred. Slice green onions and add to shredded chicken. Pour about 1/2 c of enchilada sauce into the chicken mixture and mix together.

Spray the botton of a 9x13 pan with nonstick spray. Warm tortillas one at a time in a dry skillet. After each tortilla is heated, add a scoop of chicken mixture and roll. Place seam side down in the pan. When all tortillas are rolled with chicken mixture, pour remaining enchilada sauce over the top of all the enchiladas. Top with cheese.

Bake 25 minutes at 350 degrees or until heated through and cheese is melted.

Serve with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, olive and/or guacamole. (These are not included in the listed points.)

4 comments:

  1. Sounds delish!! I will definitely try this one! I LOVED your skinny chicken cordon bleu! Have some in the freezer now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your story sounds identicle to mine! i did bfl too - and lost 65lbs in 12 weeks, and kept if off for over two years. however, now i work two jobs, go to school, and am a single mom to three kids. no time for the dedication that it takes. so i too opted for ww. it works when i stick to it! i'm hoping maybe following your blog will help give me the incentive i need to stick with it. thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. btw - la tortilla factory (sold at albersons) has BIG tortillas that are only 1 point:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Challais - I would love to see you stick around and we can do this together.

    I love La Tortilla Factory products. I use them as wraps (Flatout Wraps too!) and for burittos. I use corn tortillas in these enchiladas. I have a post started on a grilled stuffed burrito that I will be putting up soon that uses them. I also use Mission Carb Balalnce (1 pt)white flour tortillas also. They are smaller but are a big thicker and easier to roll and are perfect in enchilada recipes that need flour tortillas.

    ReplyDelete