2.21.2009

Sweet & Sour Turkey Meatballs

This has been my go to recipe for years. It started as one that my mom tried one time. It didn't turn out great but I knew that it had potential. I have tweeked it here and there over the years and I am happy with the outcome. It is one of my husband's favorites and he is always putting in requests for it. I've used it for many a dinner party and take it in to families when I am bringing them dinner after a new baby or a surgery. It is kid friendly; my daughter loves them. It also has enough flavor to set it apart from regular old meatballs.

I usually serve it with brown rice and a salad of some sort. I put a little bit of the sauce over the rice or put the meatballs right a top the rice. It could also be served with a steamed veggie of some sort too.

DSC_0026

Sweet and Sour Turkey Meatballs
6 pts - 3 meatballs
Serves 4 - 6

Meatballs

1 lb lean ground turkey
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 c oatmeal
1/2 c onion, diced or minced
1/4 c skim milk
1 t Worchestershire sauce
1/2 salt
dash of pepper

Sauce
1/2 brown sugar or 1/4 c of Splenda brown (It doesn't change the point value.)
1/4 c vinegar
1/4 c bbq sauce
1 t Worchestershire sauce
1 t prepared yellow mustard

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. I put it in the fridge for 1 hr or more so that the oatmeal can absorb some of the liquid. This is not necessary if you are in a hurry though. Form into 18 meatballs. In a hot and lightly oiled skillet, brown the sides of the meatballs to sear in the juices and so they hold their shape in the oven. These will most likely not be perfectly round, but don't worry about it. Be careful not to overcrowd the skillet so the meatballs can get a nice brown color. Put in a 9 x 13 pan that has been coated with nonstick spray once browned.

Combine all ingredients for sauce. Heat through until combined. Pour over browned meatballs. Put in a 350 degree preheated oven for 30 minutes. Serve with with rice and a vegetable. I eat it with 1/2 c of brown rice (2 pts) but the husband needs 1 c (4 pts).

No comments:

Post a Comment