2.25.2009

Apple Crisp Oatmeal - 4.5 pts & Spiced Apples - 1 pt

DSC_0122

I think I am on a breakfast kick! I promise I have other recipes and ideas for dinners waiting in the wings. Now that I am photo tracking, I am trying to get the recipes up here that correspond with my daily menu. We'll see how well that works out, but for the time being I'm trying.

After loving the Strawberries & Cream Oatmeal so much, I decided that I needed to experiment putting more fresh fruit in my oatmeal. In the past, I have cut up an apple and tossed it in but there was nothing amazing about how it turned out. For Valentine's day, we had pork ribs and I thought that it would be delicious to serve it with some spiced apples, like you get at the restaurants. These are the spiced apples that I came up with. It is a really chunky applesauce with lots of flavor. I loved how they turned out and thought that they would be delicious on oatmeal too. This is what I came up with.

Apple Crisp Oatmeal
4.5 pts
Serves 1

1/2 c oatmeal
1 c water
2 packets Splenda
dash of salt
1/2 t almond extract
1 serving Spiced Apples (recipe below)
2 T Microwave Granola

Place oatmeal, water, Splenda, salt & almond extract in a micowave safe bowl. Allow extra room in the bowl for the oatmeal to bubble during cooking or you will have a mess in your microwave. Microwave on high 3 minutes.

Top with Spice Apples. Sprinkle Microwave Granola over the top. Enjoy hot!

Spiced Apples
1 pt
Serves 3

Peel and cube 4 small or 3 medium apples. Put in a small saucepan.
DSC_0107 DSC_0111
DSC_0113

Add 1/4 c water and 1 t lemon juice. Stir. Them at 3 T Splenda for Baking, 1/4 t cinnamon and 1/8 t nutmeg. Stir to coat apples evenly. Cover and place over medium heat.
DSC_0114DSC_0115

Cook until apples are tender but not mushy. Mash lighly with a fork or potato masher. Divide into 3 servings. Stores well in fridge for a few days. Can be used as a topping or a side dish or just enjoyed pure.

DSC_0119

Here is the original go at the spiced apples. They were delicious served with the ribs and sweet potatoes. The candied yams recipe is coming soon! By the way, pork ribs, not WW friendly at all! They were a Valentine's treat for the husband.

DSC_0139

No comments:

Post a Comment