2.03.2009

Skinny Chicken Cordon Bleu - 5 pts

Chicken Cordon Bleu is one of my favorites. I never was brave enough to make it and would just the the ones in the freezer section. They come in at 10 pts for one piece of chicken and expensive on top of that. Yikes and totally unnecessary. I set out to make my own version while praying that my husband wouldn't notice too much of a difference.

I used boneless skinless chicken breasts, laughing cow light original Swiss, lean deli lunch meat, egg whites, fiber one and panko bread crumbs. They turned out absolutely amazing! They looked almost identical to the ones you buy frozen but tasted so much better. My husband was disappointed that I only made two. He practically was begging for me to make them again. That was between the constant Mmmmm's and raving about the taste. Next time, he wants me to cook up some extras and freeze them for his lunches.

These were so beautiful and would be a great dish for a dinner party. I will definitely be making these when my parent come in town this spring. I really wished I would have taken pictures to share. That is something that I need to remember to do in the future.

Skinny Chicken Cordon Bleu
5 pts
2 servings

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 large deli slices of ham
2 wedges of Laughing Cow Light Original Swiss
1 egg white
1/4 c panko style bread crumbs
1/2 c Fiber One cereal, pulsed in food processor or blender until fine crumbs

Thaw chicken. Place between two pieces of plastic wrap. Pound to about 1/4 inch thick with meat mallet or rolling pin. Remove plastic. Place a slice of deli ham over each piece of chicken. Spread a wedge of cheese on half of each piece of chicken/ham. Roll like a burrito starting with the cheese side first so that it is in the middle of the roll. Secure with toothpicks if necessary.

Put egg white in a bowl. Combine panko bread crumbs and fiber one crumbs in another bowl. Dip the chicken in egg white and then roll in bread crumbs, coating entire chicken roll. Place on a cooking sheet that has been spray with nonstick spray. Repeat with second piece of chicken. sprinkle remaining bread crumbs on top of chicken.

Bake 350 degrees for about 25 minutes. Allow to cool a few minutes before serving because cheese inside will be very hot.

If freezing these, cook before freezing. Can be reheated in the oven or thawed in the fridge and them reheated in the microwave.

1 comment:

  1. Those sound so good! And easy too! I will be making those in the future ;) I wish you'd taken a pic too!

    ReplyDelete